Saturday, December 6, 2008

Speed

Speed
The elusive quality that many cyclists strive for. I have been avoiding training for speed since I am just coming back from so much time off the bike. If you look at my training rides you will see a pretty abysmal average speed of either ~10mph or more recently ~12mph. This number is pretty low and won't be good for brevets or the STP. So I need speed training. There are two approaches to this, one is finding a group ride that pushes your speed but won't kill you. The other is high intensity sprints like those mentioned in this article for tri-athletes.

I think I can start looking at group rides, I feel much more comfortable on the Corsa and group rides are doable now. The other thing is to be self-sufficient and pick out a nice course that I can use for speed training after a 90 minute ride. It is definitely starting to get time for speed training. I can't be a slow poke forever, it will be too embarrassing.

No comments: