Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Raptobike "White Rabbit" is home again

Raptobike Front right view
The "White Rabbit" is home again. She has a new frame, new Terracycle idlers and a new rear rack by Tubus. The rack will allow me to use my Ortlieb panniers in the near term and will be the mount for my tailbox longer term. I need to be prepared for my new commute. BTW, the idler kit for the Raptobike is not on Terracycle's web site yet, just call their office and Pat or Robert will get it out to you. It is very nice and comes with Raptobike specific instructions. The Kirland Bike Shop put everything together for me and got my Raptobike running again.

I am still waiting on my Schwalbe Kojaks, and the new front rim from Velocity but the bike is a dream. I took it for a 20 mile test ride today and loved it. The new idlers eliminate the two issues I had with my Raptobike. I had been having trouble with the chain jumping due to my chain line not being perfectly adjusted. If I hit bumps while coasting it might jump off. That problem is gone, but was specific to my setup, not a Raptobike issue as much as a tuning issue. The other issue I had was that the stock power side idler use to grab jeans, shorts or any non-lycra clothing on my right leg. This includes hair and flesh. I had been just careful to wear 9" inseam lycra shorts. Now with the thinner toothed idler this problem is GONE.
idlers and me
As you can see in the picture there is now a decent distance between my thigh and the idler. I also rode around wearing regular shorts and there were no issues. This is a bigger deal and very welcome.

All in all the bike seems to be better than ever and it was a dream before. I can't wait to move into my new house and set up my workshop so I can build a coroplast tailbox.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In your blog post you say that your Raptobike has a new frame. Did you have any problems with your original frame?

Michael King

Duncan Watson said...

I did. After hitting 2 potholes with the front wheel at 33mph downhill during the STP I found a small crack near the rear wheel on the frame. I was fully loaded with 3L of water (7lbs) and gear (5lbs) for a 200 mile ride. Probably a total of 245lbs loaded, including the bike and myself.

My front rim was bent in but the wheel didn't go out of true. I did flat while on the flats at 19mph and went down on my left side. It was the classic vampire bite of a pinch flat. I had a similar accident later that day at mile 155, but at 15mph and a pothole.

The STP was rough for me, I hit a lot of road crap. Arnold replaced the frame under warranty and he is waiting for the old one back for inspection.

Unknown said...

Thanks for elaborating. Sorry about the damage to your bike. They must have been a couple of nasty potholes. Just curious because I'm planning on ordering a Raptobike frameset within the next month or two.

Michael King

Duncan Watson said...

No worries. Arnold stood behind his product and I am running with a new frame. I wish you the best of luck with your new frameset. I absolutely love my Raptobike.